Inspect files with a single click.
If you want additional details about a file, simply click Informant in the menu bar to open the details panel.
Informant knows when you select a file with an arrow key or when you make a selection using ⌘ + a.
Make it your own⚙️
You can customize the menu bar and panel to display the information that’s important to you.
Frequently asked questions
Why is some file information unavailable?
There are some files that Informant simply cannot read because of macOS security protocols.
For example, Informant cannot read iCloud Synchronization Files - .icloud.
However, if it's a file with a normal extension, and it's not stored in a Network volume then you may need to authorize Informant ⤵︎
- Open System Preferences and select Security & Privacy.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Scroll through the list on the left and select Accessibility.
- Unlock your settings by clicking on the lock in the bottom left corner and following the instructions.
- In the list on the right check Informant.
- Then scroll through the list on the left and select Automation.
- In the list on the right, underneath Informant, check 'Finder'.
After authorizing, you may need to quit Informant and re-open it.
Does Informant require a subscription?
Nope. Informant is free to use! However, creating it was a lot of work, so please consider sponsoring.
Is Informant localized?
Yes! However, it uses Microsoft Azure for translations so they may not be 100% accurate. If you've found a translation that you think is incorrect, please submit feedback.
Does Informant support other file explorers like Pathfinder?
No, Informant only supports Finder. It can't detect files selected in any other application.
Informant runs on macOS 11.0 or later. It is not supported on Windows or Linux.
We do not collect any personal data, period.